What’s your experience with performance reviews? Positive and constructive? Or frustrating and stressful?
In our 20+ years of performance management consulting, we’ve learned that whether you’re the appraiser or appraisee, there are seven derailers that you need to avoid:
- Assessments based on assumptions and generalizations, not fact
- No input from the appraisee
- Focusing on only good or bad news
- No action plans developed
- Vague, general business objectives and development goals
- Old issues stored up for the annual review
- No follow-up after the face-to-face conversation
Turn the annual event into a productive, meaningful event and pave the way for enhanced personal and business results in 2014.