Many of you commented that my blog “Prepping for Performance Reviews – 7 Derailers” will help make your performance reviews more constructive.
You asked: How do you give difficult feedback so it’s actionable? What if your employees don’t accept your input? How can you help them not be defensive or emotional?
We recommend being coach-like. Don’t tell your employees what to think, e.g. “You need to improve your interpersonal skills.” Ask questions.
5 powerful questions to encourage your employees to absorb difficult feedback:
- What about this feedback resonates with you?
- What surprises you or puzzles you?
- Why do you think you are getting this input?
- How do you want to address it?
- What can I do to support you?
In our experience when employees absorb difficult feedback, they understand it better and are more motivated to act on it.